Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Burnt Love Letters - From a Tutorial

Hey there!  2 days before Valentine's Day and today I have an anti-VDay look that I got from a tutorial by Glitterfingersss.  You know it's a good tutorial when you can follow it without being able to read a word of it because you don't speak the language.  I, of course, used stamping for the lettering instead of newspaper transfer.  I thought the letter looked romantic so I've called this Burnt Love Letters.


Warning: I want to show all the different steps in this mani because I liked how almost every step looked so this is pretty photo heavy.

This started with a base of Picture Polish Beige.  I didn't note how many coats I used but I think it was 2 coats plus top coat.  Can you tell my top coat brush was contaminated on my pinky?  Boooooo!


For the lettering, I used MoYou London Pro -04 and Revlon Dominate.  I love the script font they used for this image.


Then, to set those letters on fire, I roughly sponged on some dark brown (Zoya Louise) and them some black in the center (Wet n Wild Black Creme).


After all this, the nerve-wracking part came...trying to make some holes in the burn marks using a cotton swab and acetone.  It's actually wasn't that hard even though at this point I had numerous coats of polish and top coat on.  I guess that proves how strong 100% acetone is.  After making the holes you could see Beige at the edges again so I touched them up with a bit more black.  Then I top coated again with Glisten & Glow HK Girl to smooth it all out.


And, FINALLY, I added a matte top coat (Essie Matte About You) to give it a look of paper.  




I loved doing this so I'm so thankful that I found this tutorial.  Unfortunately, in today's day and age, we don't really have love letters to set on fire anymore.  The best we can do when someone hurts us is maybe delete some emails and texts.  Far less cathartic, if you ask me...

'Til next time...













No comments: